Thursday, June 11, 2015

Dreaming Big with Textures and Brusho Colour Crystals


I am venturing into new territory with my card making and loving the results. I never considered myself a Mixed Media crafter, but after discovering B/B/CB and getting inspired by our Facebook group members, I am trying new things and having lots of fun. I did some searches on the internet, watched some videos and took a couple classes. I highly recommend the "Inventive Ink" class at Craftsy here, and it is on sale right now. I also discovered a new magazine called Craft Stamper and this month's issue is full of ideas on how to use Brushos! I am entering this card into their monthly challenge at the Craft Stamper Blog to use texture techniques.

I started with a piece of watercolor paper larger than what I needed for an A2 card front, and sprinkled on grey, orange and gamboge Brusho Colour Crystals. What is gamboge you ask? So did I, so I looked it up and it is a golden yellow color tone. I spritzed the page with Iridescent Gold Glimmer Mist releasing the beautiful colors. I cut the dried piece into a card front and also played with the extra piece, adding my texture and dimension. I layered gold and black stencil paste through circle holes in two stencils. I  put some blue 3D Stamp Paint (from Viva) on a craft mat, and created circles with various sizes of caps from soda bottles and containers I found in my craft room and kitchen. Then I spattered black dots created with black Bister powders and glimmer mist before sponging black distress ink on all edges. Several of those ideas came right from the Inventive Ink class I took.

I stamped "Dream Big" from Repeat Impressions on another matching scrap, sponged the edges and attached on a strip which was raised with pop dots. I completed the Mixed Media card with a Sketchy Rings die from Memory Box held in place with a couple gems.

Even the mistakes on this card look good- so I am liking Mixed Media for that reason! I tried some Gesso as a resist before adding my Brushos, but it really didn't show. However, there are a few areas where the white Gesso added a little more texture and interest to the card like in the upper right corner. There are no mistakes in MM crafting, just opportunities to add another layer and play some more.

I am also entering this card in the "spots and dots" challenge at Love's Rubberstamps.

15 comments:

TangledBlueRose said...

So gorgeous! Love your colors and layers!~kim

Holly AKA KopyKat said...

This is so beautiful. Thanks for playing with us over at Loves Rubberstamps!!!

Ustvarjalni utrinki Tamara P. said...

Gorgeous Karen
love it
hugs Tamara

JJ said...

Hi Karen,

This is stunning, love the colour tones you have created, so beautiful. It is addictive as I have got into it a bit lately through seeing some of Pamellia's work on Anything but Cute blog, you could enter this into their current challenge which is masculine. Here is the link

http://anythingbutcutechallenge.blogspot.ca/2015/06/challenge-2-june-make-it-masculine.html

You will see some amazing creations fro the design team.

Love & Hugs

Jacquie J xxx
http://jewelscardcraft.blogspot.co.uk/

Chrissy said...

This is stunning Karen.. I'm so impressed and love the colours and textures..gorgeous.

luv CHRISSYxx

kiwimeskreations said...

Oh Karen - I love that mag, The Craft Stamper, and I too have taken a mixed media class, but it is not really showing at the moment...
Love your card with all the elements - the black circles rewally hols it all together.
Blessings
Maxine

Dangina Martinez said...

UGH! I LOVE IT! Sure is a gorgeous design! Thanks for playing along with Loves Rubber Stamps this week!
Tons of Hugs, Dangina

Unknown said...

Awesome card! Love the colors and the beautiful texture! Thanks for joining us this week at Loves Rubberstamps!

Marcy said...

Very cool background and great texture and design! Thanks so much for joining our challenge over at Loves Rubberstamps!

Blankina said...

Such a cool design and super pretty card, and perfect for our spots and dots challenge at Loves Rubberstamps, thanks for joining,
hugs Blankina

Linda said...

Love this .... great use of texture. Thank you for joining in with the Craft Stamper Challenge ..... good luck! Linda xx

sarascloset said...

This is fabulous, Karen! I can see why this was chosen to be a winner at Craft Stamper! You should consider entering this into our Make It Masculine Challenge at Anything But Cute! Hugs! Sara Emily

Shelly Schmidt said...

Wonderfully done-awesome work- love the colors and your card design is very cool! Congrats on being chosen as a top 3!

Cornelia (fun stamping) said...

Fabulous work! Big congrats on your win at Craft Stampers!

Confettiny said...

How wonderful Karen, that your first entry at the Craft Stamper's challenge already is a winning one!

greetings, Trix (from the Netherlands)